Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thing #15 (The Library 2.0 Experience)

I have commented on this thing on others blogs, but was not fully aware of the background. Change is inevitable, and although I am reluctant, I do believe in the premises of Web and Library 2.0.

The video was powerful, very, very much so. My question is this--why are students not taking a more active stance? Are they facebooking during class to learn more about the subject matter? I highly doubt it. Textbook teaching is not going away overnight, and if students were more proactive, the universities might find that they have to go along, quicker. Show up the professor with all of your knowledge, and I bet some things will change!

As far as libraries go, they must change or die (something other service providers need to learn, like the post office!). 1 or 2 out of 16 of my students would check out books on library day, pitiful. When I take my daughter to the library there are 4 people looking at books and 20 waiting for a computer, most of whom are going to look up something they could find in a book, but that might require some effort. Kids groan when they run to the children's section only to see that the computer is not working. Then they leave without a backward glance. I personally don't like to read a book on the computer, it hurts my eyes and head, but my grandchildren probably won't have a choice. I wonder what the physical implications of an Internet world will be--huge eyes, long pointy fingers and super padded behinds? What a weird looking lot we will all be! I wonder if we will be able to "check out" digital books. After 2 weeks the link stops working? I bet someone is building the software right now.

Its a brave new world isn't it?

3 comments:

jb said...

You keep taking that cutie pie to the library! She and Stinky will be the only ones that know what a book is and how to find information when the power goes off! BTW- I'm done!:)

Unknown said...

Done already, must be nice. I do feel the summer slipping away...

Miss Lee said...

Interesting thoughts. Thanks for your support of libraries and books! You are doing great and you have less than 10 Things to go!