Monday, June 9, 2008

Thing #11 (The Library Thing Experience)

I LOVE this! My favorite part was seeing what others are reading. What a great way to get recommendations. (And not feel too bad about my Twilight obsession--there are thousands of us signed up!)


I also subscribed to the blogs, and signed up to be considered for the book preview. (Along with hundreds of other readers, but it could happen.) I registered to be a member of a group, but I'm not sure how that will go. It looks like the book discussions have petered out, any suggestions from anyone on where to find book discussion blogs?


I'm starting to wonder what the implications of using these things in the classroom will be. Most of the sites need a username and password, and an e-mail as well. I can see that we could run into some issues with confidentiality and parental permission. I think the kids would love to do something like this--read a book, leave a short review and read the reviews of others, but I don't see it happening like that. There are too many worries to just sign a class up. Perhaps if there were a Library Thing Kidz (with the z so kids will relate to it!). Anything to get kids reading!

5 comments:

flying_pig said...

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaah! First of all, I'll join you in your guilt for theTwilight obsession (you're in good company, and thank you for embedding (spelling?) the preview of "Twilight"! You've motivated me to play with that tool next. I cannot wait until December for the movie, nor August for the next installment of the Bella and Edward story. I'm glad to see they cast Edward as a dark haired character - I always pictured him as such, rather than the blond Adonis.

Happy blogging!

Working Mom said...

I found a great book,"Taming the Spirited Child". I may just go for that library thing...thanks for the motivation!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll have to look into that.

LKP said...

I am also Twilight obsessed also, good to know there are others to share the "passion" with!!!

Let's Keep Reading said...

I too wonder about the ease of giving students access to these learning tools. My district blocks just about everything so I think it will take alot of discussion between teachers and technology in order to come up with guidelines for using sites/blogs easily. There is no easier way to turn teachers off from a teaching resource than making it hard to access.