Saturday, June 7, 2008

Thing #9 (The Blog-Finding Experience)

I found this to be a difficult task because of two things. One is a preexisting mental condition that puts me on sensory overload when too much information is thrown at me. I found it hard to sift through thousands of blogs to find one that I was interested in subscribing to. Instead I found it easier to look for news feeds. There are fewer and I could find one that was suited to what I was looking for much easier. After 5 or 10 minutes of looking for a good blog to keep up with educational trends, I just subscribed to a couple of news feeds that I knew would have "unbiased" up to date articles.

The second thing that made this task hard is that I have not yet warmed up to blogging. I have enjoyed reading blogs for this class because I feel connected to the bloggers. Some I know in real life, but at least we all have the common thread of SBISD. But to search out a blog and start reading some random person's thoughts is beyond my comfort level right now. Why is this person an expert over another person? And why should I value "twotubetongue's" opinion (and I just made that name up so sorry if there really is a twotubetongue!)? I did find a couple that I thought would be interesting and informative (Vaughn's included) and I found those by looking at the ones that had won awards. If a lot of people liked the blog, it couldn't be too bad right?

I am not against finding a good blog and reading it, but I think that I will have to happen upon one, or take suggestions. If you have any, let me know.

4 comments:

VWB said...

one of the easiest ways to find blogs that might be useful/interesting to you is to look at the blogroll of someone you already know/read. Most bloggers will make a list of the blogs that they read or follow regularly. That way you know that you have a common thread.

It is also a process much like trying on shoes...they look good, you try them on and you either take them home or put them back on shelf!

One of best for educational trends is Cool Cat Teacher...her blog is linked in the #9 Thing. Try her out...she will lead you to others!

Unknown said...

That's the thing--I hate shopping! But thanks for the tip about looking at trusted bloggers blogs to read. I am sure that I will warm up to the process, it just won't happen in the span of one thing!

Judy B-song said...

I couldn't agree with you more. I am on blog overload. You are right about "who" we are reading. Is the blogger an expert or just some Average Joe who wants to have a blog? I flat out don't get it...but the more I have my own blog the more I like it.
Now, i don't know if anyone is reading what I have to say. And, i know for sure I am no expert.
Keep on blogging, girl!

skippyjohn jones said...

I whole heartedly agree with your statements. I too will probably just happen upon it. Hope the summer is going well! skippyjon