Monday, June 8, 2009

Thing #2.1 What Can students/Teachers/Libraries Achieve?

Although I love the idea of teaching this way, and I see the paradigm shift happening all around me, I also see teachers backed into a corner by test scores and the sacred cow that they just can't seem to kill. So until the powers that be are caught up to the rest of us, and we have a way to show growth and learning that doesn't put all kids in the same box, there will be teachers standing at the front of the classroom dispensing knowledge the old fashioned way--teacher talks and kids listen. Teachers are accountable for learning, and at this point teachers won't give up the control because they don't trust the kids to do a good enough job.

The problem I see is that students are becoming more and more dependent on teachers to help them solve problems, do their work, wipe their noses, etc. Each year I feel like the students are less and less independent, and spend more energy getting them to do what I think they should already know to do. I have students who will not even attempt a math problem without raising their hands, and some that will try once and quit. If they are going to enter a world that expects them to do things for themselves, I am a bit worried. I am tough, and my grades reflect it, but parents don't want to hear it. They want to protect their little babies, but at what age do you stop doing for and start teaching to do for themselves? As a society, responsibility for self is not highly valued, there is always someone to blame. Until we start teaching responsibility, and rewarding it, I don't see schools embracing the new paradigm.

Libraries could be a valuable tool in helping achieve this goal, but that would take getting all librarians up to speed and on board. Teaching the students how to use these tools, then getting them started on a research project would be an excellent way to spend the hour of library time each week, and would give kids something to work on in class when they are finished, etc. Or something to work on at home that is not going to rot their little brains. The students will also then have the chance to work with a subject they really enjoy, and find that learning can be fun and entertaining.

For a couple of years I have toyed with the idea of research groups, a balanced literacy activity, and now see that I could use the research groups to help my students utilize these tools. I have yet to do it, but resolved that 09-10 would be the year, and so am glad to see this video and get a clearer picture of how it works. Unfortunately I have not worked out how to get the kids e-mail addresses. Most of the tools mentioned in the video, and needed for research do require some kind of e-mail address. Ideas?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad I work with you! You have such great ideas and are so realistic about today's classroom. I agree we should spend more time teaching the tools and then sending them out to accomplish assignments on their own. At the same time we need to be open to their creativity and not so restrictive. I look forward to what we can achieve next year.

skippyjohn jones said...

I think you must remember teachers should teach strategies, not content. The parents and administration often forget this point. The shift of thinking has not occurred with the tests, yet. So teachers think they should teach subject matter.
If you teach a child to fish, he will have food forever. The same thing is true with learning. Teach them to teach themselves and they will be life long learners!

Unknown said...

Thanks Joan. I hope that my research groups will allow the kids more creative freedom, since it a free time activity I won't necessarily be grading it. I agree that kids need more freedom, but at the same time I feel restricted by what I have to teach. It is frustrating to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.

I agree with you Tori, although I know I don't do the best job of it. I feel some subjects are easier than others to teach that way, like writing. I think I may need to be taught to fish!

Terry said...

You asked about kid. Edublogs and Google have teamed up and made it easy to set up student accounts. here is the starting place
http://help.edublogs.org/tag/gmail/
I created a blog with posts ebing the activities and a class had to use the comments to respond. They had to login with their username which was just their initials. They never knew that their username was attached to an email (gmail address which was connected to my gmail for that blog) I had total control over which comments were published but I could read all of them. This may not be the total answer to your email situation but it is a start.