Thursday, June 25, 2009

Thing #2.7 Video Resources

I was happy to see this "thing" because I have heard in passing of many of these sites, and having them all together to compare and contrast was nice.

Obviously some of the sites seem better for education than others. The TOTLOL site does have some cute things, like the Animaniacs--I love them!, but was not full of educational content, and you would have to change everything. (When is the district going to cave on the Youtube ban?) PBS has great programming, but they are so long, and probably would need to be previewed before showing them to the class so that you show what is important and they aren't sitting through an hour of a documentary that is mostly over their heads. None of the videos on the National Archives Site worked when I tried, but it could be user error. Hulu had some useful videos, and I did like a couple from Blinx, but it took so long to load that I didn't spend a lot of time playing there.

Here is a Wildcast that I thought could be used in science to talk about learned and inherited behaviors and traits. In fact, most of the Wildcast videos could be used to in this way, as well as to lead off discussions about adaptations and environment.


Here are some water cycle videos:

This one I found from Google videos and it is a how to for teachers. It shows how to make water cycle bracelets. Obviously we wouldn't have the kit, but how hard would it be to get those beads? I'm going to make them this year (no stealing younger MDE grades!):


Here's the Magic School Bus (you can also find many of these on United Streaming, but Google was easier to search, and would probably be easier to use with flipcharts):


This is a ridiculously dated song about the water cycle that I would use for comic relief during the lesson. I love to sing, and try to incorporate songs as much as possible. Some of the kids will actually sing along, but we'll all laugh. I love finding videos like these:



I know you only wanted 2, but I got a little carried away. What a fun "thing"!

No comments: