Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Thing #2.10 Second Life

I can see some very promising learning opportunities with Second Life. The ability to create something in 3-D that can be explored by the students has some definite advantages. Whether fictional sites (like the one for MacBeth), or actual models (like the human cell), the students will be able to experience things first hand that they would not otherwise experience. This could be especially helpful with low SEC students who may not have very rich life experiences. Just being able to go to the beach or the mountains in Second Life could give them something to draw upon when studying habitats or regions. Is it ideal? Of course not, but it is a lot more reasonable than complaining in the teachers' lounge about how the kids can't picture what a wave looks like because they have never been to the beach!

I liked the Charles Darwin area where students could retrace his footsteps with a guide, or visit kiosks with more information. I also liked the astronomy tour, and know that the students would like it too. This is very novel for them right now, so even the slightest interaction with Second Life will have my students sitting up and paying attention.

I am worried about safety, but teenagers would be using their own second life, although I'm sure that there are still some corrupt thinkers using it too. I was trying to get my avatar clothed and was in my undies because I had no idea what I was doing, and some avatar came up and asked me "Sex?" I had been on for 5 minutes! So yes, safety is an issue for me, but I believe that kids shouldn't be sheltered, but taught how to deal with all situations. I told nasty man to move on about his business, and hope that my students will have the know how to do the same.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, after your experience with Second Life, I say it is safe to say I will never let children use this web site nor will I use the web site! Nothing they have to offer could be worth the risk.