Friday, June 26, 2009

Thing #2.8 Screencasting

I really like screencasting. I never knew what it was before, and have often thought about how I would love to have this ability, and I do!

I immediately think of the computer lab and giving instructions a million times because someone misses one step because they sneeze or scratch their arm or talk to their neighbor. If I were record as I was giving instructions, I could then post the link on the wiki immediately and the students would then be responsible for figuring out what they missed! I would probably need to make a screencast of how to do that too.

I did download Jing, then it told me I needed some other Microsoft product in order to make it work, so I did not install it. I then downloaded GoView, and I like it better anyway because it has editing capability. I'm worried that it will not be free forever though, but I'll cross that bridge when they ask me to pay. This is the GoView(this one has sound from just the internal mic and I don't think it is that bad):


I played with the "no software" options, and settled on Screencast o matic, because it has such a cool name. It was easy to use, and had a variety of useful saving options. I also liked the blue indicator that showed on the video when I clicked on something. Since I have done all of the converting I wanted to for the evening, I exported it, and here it is (this one does not have sound, this was my first attempt and I didn't think the internal mic would work):




This will be a very useful tool as I put many of these "things" to work in the classroom.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Now that I look at the Screencast o matic I think that I should have used a larger window to record in.