Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Thing #2.6

I love my iPhone, and not for the games. Since I have gotten it I've been more in-touch with people, better organized, and actually keep up with the news and weather. I know that it is a powerful tool in the hands of someone who is willing to put forth a little effort into using it as a tool, but am I willing to fight that battle everyday with my students?

I have a hard time picturing 19 kids with touches at their desks at all times. What would they do with them? Obviously use the calculator, use the maps, do some research, but all of these things can be accomplished with tools already in the classroom. The productivity apps available are nice, and I would like my students to get their little selves organized. So there are many things that I can see my kids doing with them, but I guess my main concern comes with time constraints. How can I fit all of this in with what I already have to do? I'm not saying that it can't be done, but I can't figure it out.

My main problem is that I am not inventive. I love to see things working, and steal those ideas to use in my classroom. I didn't write the grant for technology (and I thought about getting the touches) because I have no idea how I would use it. I have lots of great ideas for things that they could do with the technology, but when I try to incorporate those ideas into my curriculum I run out of time in my school year. Show me someone who it using it, and I'm sure I can use that as my jumping off place, but just reading about the apps and playing with some of them aren't doing the trick for me right now. So I will keep researching, and let you know what I find.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Here is another site with some good information, still not exactly what I am looking for though.

http://learninginhand.com/netbooks/index.html

Info Mage said...

We are accumulating the comments on the iTouch by all the players and posting them at this Wiki: http://librestechsbisdcurr.pbworks.com/iTouch

Hopefully through our collective minds we will come up with solutions for your concerns.