Thursday, July 24, 2008

Thing #22 (The Ning Experience)

I thought Nings were cool. I like being able to have a private social club for just your friends, family, interest group, etc. It feels more grown up than MySpace or Facebook (both of which I joined this summer, at the needling of my younger cousins) because you have a lot more control.

On a professional standpoint, I could see where folks would like to have a place to vent their frustrations and successes in the classroom. To share information/lessons, and feel like they are part of something big. Even now, with all the teamwork blah-blah, teaching can feel solitary and knowing that there are others just like you feels good now and then.

I thought it would be great to have for my class, even better than a blog. The students are already very social (I hear them trading numbers and setting up phone dates all the time), and I think the parents could feel okay about them taking part in a social network that is closed. I do worry about the ads though, and will have to keep an eye on them. I think they could use them inside the classroom too. Perhaps to facilitate chats about their book club book, or even for celebrations they have to share. I keep trying to get them involved with school as more than just the place where they get homework, without much success. Perhaps these types of activities will get them more involved with each other and the classroom.

No comments: