Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Thing #18 (The Online Productivity Tools Experience)

I had already taken a look at Google Apps, and went ahead and downloaded Open Office for the fun of it. I think that these are great, and have heard and seen a push in the district to use these types of "free" programs. It makes financial sense, but I guess it also makes sense on a community level as well. To me word processing is word processing--I'll use whatever is there and discover all of the cool things about it as I need to, but I am starting to see how important it is to have applications that everyone can use, anywhere.

I just finished reading an article in Time about the fight to be the next best platform (the article looked at Apple, Google and Facebook). Although Google has many more users, the biggest issue was they had not kept up with the social networking craze. I found it very interesting, especially after all of these "things" I have been doing. As a society we are weaving ourselves closer together, while keeping ourselves further apart. What an odd paradigm we are shifting to!

3 comments:

Miss Lee said...

I love your last comment... isn't it amazing how we are connecting across the fiber-optic lines of communication nowadays? Truly incredible...

IZ-A-BEL99 said...

I agree with your comment that as a society that we are weaving ourselves closer together with the use of the worldwide web, however we still manage to keep our distance and our selfs closed off to the people within walking distance of us. Thanks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the comments!